The Institute of Medicine suggests that adults should consume 10 to 35 percent of their total calorie intake from protein. However, while considering protein intake, it is also important to choose an overall healthy diet that provides the protein you needed along with other nutrients.
A healthy lifestyle includes a diet low in fat with sufficient protein and carbohydrates, eaten in proper portions (about half of which are fruits and vegetables), and physical activity/exercise. Enjoy the recipe below, Baja Fish Tacos, for a delicious, well balance meal.
Baja Fish Tacos
Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cook:10 minutes; Number of servings: 4
- 14 oz. thawed tilapia filets, about 3.5 oz. per serving
- 1 medium onion chopped, divided
- 1 medium tomato chopped, divided
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- 12 oz. broccoli or cabbage slaw
- 4 servings whole wheat tortillas (check package for serving size)
- 2 tsp taco dry taco seasoning
- zest of 1 lemon, about 1 T
- juice of 1/2 lemon, about 1 T
- cilantro, fresh, chopped fine, about 2 tbsp.
- Chop onion and tomato.
- Shred cabbage (or use pre-shredded; non-dressed broccoli slaw).
- Place tortillas in the microwave for ~ 30 seconds on medium to make them more pliable.
- Chop or slice entire avocado.
- Sprinkle tilapia filets on both sides with taco seasoning.
- Place in nonstick pan and cook over med heat until pan-side appears white, about 3-5 min.
- Flip, adding half the onions and half the tomatoes.
- Using the spatula, chunk up and cook fish, trying to evenly distribute with seasonings and vegetables.
- Cook the fish about another 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice.
- Fill tortillas with fish mixture, chopped vegetables, cabbage, cilantro and lemon zest.
Calories Per Serving: Calories: 365
Total Fat: 12.5 g; Cholesterol: 57.0 mg; Sodium: 426.8 mg; Total Carbs: 34.0 g; Dietary Fiber: 8.2 g; Protein: 32.2 g